Photos tab makes computer crash...

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Photos tab makes computer crash...

Postby aaronrules » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:30 am

I am in love with this program. I have been tryign to get our "poor" to come up with the money to buy Media Shout...until I found this they other week! It's exactly what we needed! Powerpoint wasn't cutting it....the fact that we can have all our songs in the program alreadY!!!

Anyway...I have loaded some photos for backgrounds, but when I try to access them, this computer acts like it going to fry! It just freezes. I have to either ALT CTRL DEL or turn it completly off. This is a HP Laptop that is loaned to the church in order to do what we are doing with it. The model is an hp pavilon 4600 with an AMD chip in it. I am pretty sure that the problem is with this pathetic machine, but I am trying to get some sort affirmation. The computer has told me that the virtual memory is critically low when this problems happens. I am sure that this isthe problem...I am hoping that maxing out the memory on this machine can help...it is pretty slow on everything else.

What would be the bottom specs for a machine to run ZW? I am pretty sure that laptop has integrated graphics and audio, but it does support dual monitor. It's running XP, and I have had this problem with and without very many programs running.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Aaron
aaronrules
Junior

Postby webmaster » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:49 pm

what are the size and res of the pictures and how many in the folder...

Edd
Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:17 pm

It could be a combination of problems:
1. The disk space is running out. Try to clean up
2. The virtual memory is simply insufficient. Increase the virtual memory.
3. The resolution of the pictures is too high and too many in the same folder.
Last edited by Williamting on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby davepartridge » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:28 pm

A problem I had with photos was this

When I had anything other than a picture file in the photos folder within the ZionWorx folder (e.g. a Zip file I'd forgotten to delete), it threw up an error message and only showed some of the pictures. It didn't crash the computer and ZionWorx still worked partially, but it may be something worth checking.
davepartridge
Senior

Optimum Size

Postby AliBy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:05 am

webmaster wrote:what are the size and res of the pictures and how many in the folder...

Edd
Webmaster

Edd, I have seen this comment before and as we experience a slowdown when we access the photos tab I would ike to optimise the size of the images.

What is the optimim size relative to screen res? We use a 1024x768 screen projection.
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby paulstokes » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:14 pm

Optimum size is to match the screen resolution... otherwise the PC has to mess around with scaling the images on the fly all the time (hence the slowdown).

I tend to save copies of any images I want to use (ie: preserve the original!), and then simply resize them using PSPro (or whatever graphics program you prefer).

I also find that the sheer number of photos in a tab can cause slowdown too, and currently keep the photo folders small (10-15) with suitable labels.

Hope you get a workable solution.
Paul
Plymstock United Church
http://www.plymstock.org.uk
paulstokes
Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support