Modifying the Database

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Modifying the Database

Postby Jonathan Hills » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 pm

Having read through the various forums, I read that some people want to get more info in and out of the application. One example is folders which show say Easter or Christmas songs.
I have have found that using turbodb I can alter the MainTable and so could have extra columns which can be queried. On restarting the app, it didn't fall over (which was a relief).
My question is: to what extent can we modify tables in the app?
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby ChrisClark » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:28 am

Obviously you can get away with adding new columns - the limits would be modifying or deleting the existing columns which most probably would break the program. As you will have found out there is only the one table presently and so you could add other tables also I guess - but how useful that would be (???)
It is perhaps worth noting that ZionWorx will not take into account any changes you make either so this is probably not that useful for the majority of users.

However there is also no guarantee that future releases will be able to upgrade or include any database changes you make. There are definitely plans to add columns and tables to support features people request in the future (the grouping issue you mentioned is one such example). So you may be left having to perform data conversions etc by yourself. It sounds like you are comfortable with database work however so this might not be an issue.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan Hills » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Thanks for that. I was thinking of adding 2 or 3 columns such as categories and my wife's comments column (DO NOT USE was one of her favourites!) for distribution.
My main problem will be remembering the syntax for which app I am in (they all seem to vary slightly!)
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby wes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:38 pm

extra columns would be useful in the future

in v2.0 I had added information visible through Access into the available columns there, and printed out tables for service leaders and others. The additional information included what Jonathan is suggesting eg. Christmas, Easter and also style eg. trad hymn, praise and worship, gospel song etc. In another column I showed which music book to find the music in and/or what key we normally play.

Would all of this previously entered data have come across with the songs through the DB conversion from v2.0 to v2.5 ?

Wes
wes
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support