is it possible to use openoffice impress rather than ppt

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

is it possible to use openoffice impress rather than ppt

Postby walkies_a » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:05 pm

I am trying to keep the costs down for my church presentation package. I have openoffice 2.0 installed as well as zionworks. Does anybody know if it is possible to use zionworks with openoffice instead of powerpoint. Or will this be a feature zionworks v3?

Any suggestions welcome!
walkies_a
Junior

Postby Christian » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:46 am

Hi,

Yes this is something we'll be looking at for v3.0

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

OOo are also working on it at last

Postby AliBy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:02 am

:D
The team at OpenOffice are gaining momentum as they tackle the dual screen functionality. This may simplify the programming Christian - I really don't know what is intailed? Anyhow it may be worth keeping an eye on their progress too.
:arrow:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=12719
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Impress_simple_multiple_display_specification

Bless you
Alistair
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby Christian » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:32 pm

Thanks Alistair,

At last it seems like this issue is getting some proper attention...

Christian
Site Admin

Postby intuitas » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi Christian,

Does seem as if the dual display issue in impress is being looked at seriously again.
I received a notification from the open source people when the issue was reopened recently although I still don't quite follow their chain of responsibility for these things.
Will continue to monitor it.

Blessings

Paul
intuitas
Senior

Postby Christian » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:16 pm

Great news - please do keep us informed :)

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

DONE in version 2.ONE

Postby AliBy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:57 pm

At last!
The latest release of OpenOffice.org IMPRESS, version 2.1, has got dual screen functionality.
http://www.openoffice.org/index.html
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Impress 2.3

Postby intuitas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi Christian et al,

It seems as if version 2.3 of Open Office has a stable multi-display option in Impress. I am suggesting to our church that they try using it (outside Zionworx of course) rather than invest in an MS Office upgrade, pending its possible incorporation in version 3 of Zionworx. Files saved with secondary/tertiary display set seem to retain their settings (unlike MS PowerPoint 2000)
Although I was able to make suggestions regarding database it the 4GL level I am out of my depth when it comes to Delphi.
It appears that Open Office uses an XML based OpenDocument format which may make it suitable to incorporate thumbnail slide display and progression within Zionworx.
So far as integrating control of Impress goes it seems that the OpenOffice API/SDK is freely available, although because it is an integrated office product I am not sure what this implies for Impress alone.

Blessings

Paul
intuitas
Senior

Postby ChrisClark » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks Paul for the info. We have looked at one of the latest versions of Impress and it does appear to be controllable via the API including exporting slides etc as you say. We still need to do further playing around with what is actually possible and how to implement.

We are looking at including impress control as well as powerpoint in the next major release of ZionWorx.

Chris
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support