no help

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

no help

Postby John Hull » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:36 pm

Hi

I've just downloaded Zionworks, and am quite impressed. However I can't open the help files either from the software, or from the start menu. I'm using Win XP SP2, with all the critical updates.

It means that I'm working in the dark , finding what keys do what by trial and error, which is all good fun, but not quick :?

John
John Hull
Junior

Postby ChrisClark » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:26 pm

If you go to the directory where you installed ZionWorx - by default it is C:\Program Files\ZionWorx - and see if there is a zionworx.chm file there. This is the help file for ZionWorx and double clicking it will open and run it.

If there is no help file there - then I would suggest running the installer again as it is part of the installation. If this doesn't help please post more details here.

Regards
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby John Hull » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:09 pm

Hi thanks for the response. I've tried both things. There is a zionworks.chm file in the directory. When I try to open it, I get an access denied message. The same thing happens if I try from the start menu. If I try to go to help from within the program, nothing happens.

I tried re-installing, but it's exactly the same.

John
John Hull
Junior

Postby ChrisClark » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:48 pm

Hi,

It sounds like there may be an actual problem with the computer opening help files in general. It maybe related to the settings you have in Windows. Have a look through and see if you can find a setting related to running ActiveX controls. Maybe a search on google might also reveal some further information.

(BTW - ZionWorx fails silently when it trys and opens the help file so it will be experiencing the same issue as when you try and open the help yourself)
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby John Hull » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:53 pm

Other help files seem to open ok. I do have avtivex set to ask permission.

John
John Hull
Junior

Postby brainier » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:43 am

What folder do you have ZionWorx installed in. CHM files (Windows Help) only work on the "Local Computer Zone" in Internet Explorer - ie. C:\, D:\ etc. If you have installed it on a remote network drive it will fail to open or if you have added the installation folder for ZionWorx into any other zone within IE. (KB182569)

Go into IE and set all the security zones to default, check what folders are listed in the Restricted Zone (and remove anyone related to your local computer) and then check the registry as described in KB892675. This is the Microsoft article which says what the latest restrictions on HTML Help is when running the latest updates to Windows.
brainier
Expert User

Postby John Hull » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:27 pm

Thanks for the response. I've installed to the default folder, so it looks once again as if uncle Bill has made life more difficult. Ever since installing SP2, I've had problems with the system wanting to secure things I don't want or need secured.

Even to the extent of having my son's firewall lock me out of my own network, without the facility to alter it. :x
John Hull
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support