Network Support

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Network Support

Postby glennd » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:17 am

I am new to Zionworx and am evaluating it for use in our church. One question I have is: can Zionworx be used on the network with the database and service lists in one spot which several PCs can access?

We have several computers in the church including the Presentation PC which is in the auditorium in a locked cabinet. Having this PC locked away means that the worship leader, pastor or anyone else who is involved in putting a service together cannot access it at all times. The Office PC, however, is accessible to all (but we don't run our prestentations from this PC). From what I have seen of this programme so far, each installation holds its own database and service list. This means that if Zionworx is installed on 3 or 4 PCs at church, we would have to update the database on each individual PC each time a change was made. Can the database and service list be put on to a PC (or on the public area of our server) so that the Office PC, Pastor PC, Presentation PC and any other PC can access the same current information?

This would mean that a presentation could be created on any PC, saved publicly, and run on the Presentation PC during our service. It would also mean that there would be only one database and service list that would need to be updated.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Glenn.
glennd
Junior

Postby Williamting » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:42 am

Glenn,
Try this workaround:

1. Install Zionworx on all your networked PCs.
2 Copy Zionworx directory in your office to another directory where you allow everyone to access. You can skip this if this is not a concern.
3. Share the Zionworx directory.
4. On other PCs, map to this shared directory.
5. In the newly mapped Zionworx directory, you will find Zionworx.exe. Create a shortcut to this exe. For a quick test, double click on this exe file.

I will try this when I have networked all our PCs next week but I believe it should work. Please let us know how it goes. I am currently executing Zionworx from a thumb drive.

God bless,
William
Last edited by Williamting on Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Williamting
Most Senior

network based

Postby webmaster » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:32 pm

Do what I have done.

I create everything on one machine(laptop) and the machine is networked to the main worship pc.

I then run a batch file and this copies over from the updated database to all pcs with zionworx on the network. the batch file is only ever run when the database is updated and no other users are running a zionworx session.

This is the only way I found of keeping databases all up to date.

Regards
Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:34 pm

This should also work but remember to also copy the margins.ini, settings.ini and in the services directory, the [service name.bin] file. If you have added any new background, also remember to copy the background.

Indeed a simple batch file could do the job.

God bless,
WIlliam
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby glennd » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:04 am

Thanks for that guys. I thought it would end up being something like that. I shall give these ideas a try.

Any chance of better network capability in future versions? What about an option in the programme preferences to manually change the location of the database and service list files. By default you would want it in the standard location, but it would be great for us (and I hope for others in similar situations) to be able to point several PCs to a single point.

It could be done by creating a tag called File Locations and then showing the default location of the database and service list files. These locations could be editable. Doing it this way keeps the installation as simple as it already is, but allows the user to change locations if required.

Thanks for your help.
Glenn.
glennd
Junior

Postby Christian » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:25 pm

glennd wrote:Any chance of better network capability in future versions?

You're quite right Glenn - the existing implementation (while it works robustly) is quite limiting for people like yourself.

I have taken note and will try to make improvements in this area in the next version.

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support