Windows XP Pro Administrator/User Conflict

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Windows XP Pro Administrator/User Conflict

Postby Malcolm Jones » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:56 pm

Windows XP Pro, Aministrator/User conflict.

So that all the various groups in our church have access to all our multimedia equipment we have purchased a lap top that runs XP Pro, to stop people who may not know what they are doing having acces to the system files etc it has been set up with one users allowed full access (Administrator) and all other users have limited access.

ZionWorx has been installed by the administrator allowing all other users access to the program.

ZionWorx runs fine for the adminstrator, but if another user logs on and tries to start the program it hangs with the message "program halted".

I have tried numerous ways of installing the program but always get the same problem.

Anybody got a fix??????????
Malcolm Jones
Junior

Postby Pete » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:20 pm

I have a slightly different but similar problem. My installation runs ok on the user side except for it not displaying the pictures in the image tab so the user side dosen't have access to any of the backgrounds. All the thumbnails are blank.
Pete
Intermediate

Postby Christian » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:22 am

Sorry folks!

William Ting pointed this out to us the other week (sorry if someone else has reported it before and we missed it).

Yes, this is a problem with v2.0 because of limiting write access to the database files. As soon as the database is opened with read/write access it will crash if XP permissions do not allow this.

But, I guess it can be easily solved by copying the whole ZionWorx folder to a location elsewhere on the hard disk e.g. a new folder such as C:\ZionWorx\ and then running the program from there. Just make sure as well that any desktop shortcuts point to the new location.

Maybe I've overlooked something, but I think it might work... please shoot me down if I'm totally wrong!

:wink:
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:01 pm

Christian, it should work but the administrator must ensure that the directories and files from c:\zionworx\ are fully opened, ie, security is set to everyone with full control.

I believe the problem faced by Pete is also related. Please ensure that all the files are set to r/w access for all users.

Please do let us know if the above works.

William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby graeme » Wed May 11, 2005 2:07 pm

Williamting wrote:Christian, it should work but the administrator must ensure that the directories and files from c:\zionworx\ are fully opened, ie, security is set to everyone with full control.

William

William (or anyone else), sorry if this sounds stupid, but just wondering if you have any specific instructions on how to do this in XP Professional? I tried right clicking on the Zionworks folder, selecting Properties, and then unhighlighting "Read only" - what else do I do? I've also tried moving the entire Zionworks folder to Shared Folders, and to c:\, but we still get the error described above when someone logs in under a limited account and tries to open the program.

Any specific instructions on how to allow limited account users to use it would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Graeme
graeme
Junior

Postby webmaster » Wed May 11, 2005 2:25 pm

Right hand click on the file and the choose security and then for each user you can select allow users to use the software.

Regards
Edd Stonham
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Wed May 11, 2005 2:33 pm

Graeme,
Unfortunately my XP computer is dead this week, I think the power supply has blown! So I will try to help you without actually doing the test.

It has to do with security. First, you need to ensure that the database files, the background files, etc etc are r/w. (You already know how to do this - right click->properties->uncheck Read-only.)

Next, on the same properties window, you should see the "Security" tab (click on it). Just add in all the user names with "Full Control". Alternatively, if you see there is already a "All users" displayed in the window, just click on "All Users" and set it to full control.

If the above still fails, try this:
Copy or move the Zionworx directory to c:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Test it out by switching to a "normal" user and double click on the Zionworx.exe from the new directory. If it still fails, make sure that the security is correctly granted (Full Control) to "All Users". If it still doesn't work, you need to call in someone to help you.

Creating Zionworx icon
If the above works, click on the Zionworx.exe and drag it into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop with the Alt key down. A shortcut will now be created on the desktop of every user using the computer.

William
p/s Ed, you are right!
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby graeme » Thu May 12, 2005 2:27 am

Hmmm, something's odd... when I right click on folders I don't get a "Security" tab. All I have is General, Sharing, and Customise. And none of them have any reference to any kind of user names. Any ideas why I might not have this tab? Or where else I can access this users full control thing you're talking about?

The Sharing tab doesn't have any options either, just info that says to share files drag them into the shared folder (which I've tried).

Another thing I just realised, is that when I unselect "Read Only", then click on Apply and OK, if I then go straight back to Properties, I find that Read Only is selected again! So it seems I'm unable to alter the folder to non-read-only (even logged in an Administrator account)

Bizarre. Anyway, do you think this will still be a problem on the next release?

Cheers
Graeme
graeme
Junior

Postby Williamting » Thu May 12, 2005 6:02 am

Graeme,
Try the 2nd option I proposed. Move the zionworx directory into All Users and test it again.

My problem is that my XP is down at the moment. So I cannot simulate the problem you are facing. I am using WIN2K and the security on this OS is slightly different.

Perhaps someone else could suggest something here.

I believe V2.5 has this problem resolved.

Do keep us posted on how you are going along.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby graeme » Thu May 12, 2005 8:34 am

Thanks William, yes I did try that but got the same problem.
If anyone else is using XP Pro and is able to use Zionworks from a limited account I'd be keen to know how it's set up.

I think I read somewhere that v2.5 might be out later this month. Is that right? If so, at least I know it will hopefully work later when I upgrade to that.

Cheers
Graeme
graeme
Junior

Postby webmaster » Thu May 12, 2005 8:44 am

I use XP pro and the above is all I needed to do for users which are not admins.

Edd Stonham
Zionworx Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Thu May 12, 2005 8:45 am

Graeme,
I have not tried this: How about you log in using a restricted account and do the copy of the Zionworx directory. I hope the system allow read access. Otherwise it will fail.

William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby webmaster » Thu May 12, 2005 9:28 am

right here goes....sorry mistaken i was on the 2000 laptop at the time, however reverting into XP this morning I had the same issues but have managed to find out how to admin this problem.

1. Log in as "admin" of machine or the user account that has admin rights.
2. go to "Contol panel"
3. Select "Administation tools"
4. Select "Local security"
5. Select "User Right Assingment"
6. Select "Take Ownership of files and other objects".(on my machine last in the list of items)
7. Now add the users that need to run zionworx (keep administrators in list)
8. now log in as a non admin (standard church user) and test.

This is how I had to setup the machine in our church but forgot as it was a while ago.

I tested this on the dell laptop this morning and got the same error until doing this admin change.

Regards
Edd Stonham
Zionworx Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Thu May 12, 2005 1:33 pm

Thanks for this Edd...

If everybody agrees that this is a definitive fix, then we can move this to the FAQ section.

Please report back whether this works...

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby graeme » Fri May 13, 2005 1:35 am

Thanks guys, I also just managed to fix it by using a similar method. I was confused why I wasn't being presented with the security tab everyone was talking about, when I right clicked on the Zionworks file and went to Properties.

I looked into the Windows help files and found I could go into Windows Explorer, click on Tools, Folder Options, View, and then in the Advanced Settings section untick the box that refers to Simple file information or something (sorry, can't remember exactly what it said, and I'm on a different computer at the moment). Once that was unticked, I went back to the Zionworks folder, right clicked, went to Properties, and then there was a Security Tab, which let me set permissions, and allow all users to use the Zionworks folder.

Thanks for all your information. And yes maybe this could go in a FAQ question.

Cheers
Graeme
graeme
Junior

Next

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support