Tip - Updating a Powerpoint slide on the fly

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Tip - Updating a Powerpoint slide on the fly

Postby iainc » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:14 pm

Until a recent discovery, one thing which was much easier to do with old fashioned acetate and an OHP, was to take eg prayer requests, brainstorm points etc and display them on the screen.

However, I recently discovered how to do this with Powerpoint.

The speaker (2 mins before the service started) asked if it would be possible to take notes of a brainstorm duing the sermon. I added a new blank slide to the sermon presentation, and thought I would only be able to type up the points as they were called out, and display it all at the end, or at best in chunks, but not put each point up as it was called out.

I typed up the first few points, then saved the presentation, switched back to ZW, selected the sermon presentation, and displayed the new slide on the (projected) screen.

Leaving that slide on the screen, I then flicked back to the powerpoint window, and continued typing the points as they were called out. I realised that each character I was typing, was appearing on the (projected) screen.

Excellent, exactly what I wanted to achieve without trying!

(NB this was with ZW 2, and Powerpoint 2003)

Hope this helps someone out there!
Iain
iainc
Junior

Postby mango » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:51 am

Yeah, this is a feature of powerpoint. It can be quite distracting when you make a lot of typing mistakes, I wonder if there is a feature that lets you update the projected screen after you hit enter or something.
mango
Intermediate

Updating PowerPoint slides on the fly

Postby intuitas » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:25 am

I haven't tried this as my dual monitor set up has temporarily given way to a hardware upgrade for my son in the space I have available. However the thought occurred to me as I re-read this post that you should be able to run notepad on the primary monitor to type up your points, correct any spelling mistakes then cut and paste for each line (or in blocks) etc.

Not as convenient as just typing direct into PowerPoint but if you produce a lot of typos which need altering anyway the delay might not be so bad.

Paul
intuitas
Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support