Maintaining the database

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Maintaining the database

Postby kck » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Has anyone any suggestions about the best way to approach the following problem?

I have imported songs from the Songs of Fellowship files for books 1, 2 and 3.
As time goes by we will doubtless add further new songs and Kingsway will probably publish yearly books of new songs (with files that I may or may not import) and then eventually SoF book 4, etc.

The questions is, "What is the best way to maintain the database?"
I will almost certainly want to import the whole book 4 file when it arrives but I don't want to end up with lots of duplicated songs. I know the import process has a title de-duplicating facility (for which I'm very grateful) but I have already tweaked many titles to make it more obvious which song it is so this function will probably not pick them up.

Also, I need to maintain the list on a number of unconnected computers, most of which are owned and operated by non-technical people. These include our worship leaders who will want to add new songs. I need to make sure everyone has the same list.

I can't believe this is a new problem. What do all you experts do at the moment?

Thanks,
Steve
kck
Senior

Re: Maintaining the database

Postby jimbocgy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:07 pm

[quote="kck"]Has anyone any suggestions about the best way to approach the following problem?

The questions is, "What is the best way to maintain the database?"

Also, I need to maintain the list on a number of unconnected computers, most of which are owned and operated by non-technical people. These include our worship leaders who will want to add new songs. I need to make sure everyone has the same list.

I can't believe this is a new problem. What do all you experts do at the moment?

Thanks,
Steve[/quote]

Hello Steve, I am new to ZionWorx and have been using it for over 8 months now.

My name is Jim Fremstad, I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada.

I am fairly familiar with Databases and would like to ask you if you are familiar with MS-Access?

A wish-list item to add to Zionworx v3 would be an import/export feature with various formats.

The reason I ask the above question is that your database could be maintained using an Access template, and you could have your songs
categorized by putting additional fields into the database.

Date Created, Modified, Who Created the record, etc...
Unique key fields can be assigned to each song, as long as the songs
are not duplicated, all should be fine. There should also be some utilities
available to check for duplicate records.

I hope this gives you some ideas, and points you in the right directon.
"God Uses both 'Candles' and 'Stars' to light his creation!" - ISOM Guest Speaker

Regards,
Numbers 6:24-26; Psalm 133; Gal. 2:20; Heb. 6:10-12 to All!
jimbocgy
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support