Tip - "Help! Where has my mouse pointer gone?"

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Tip - "Help! Where has my mouse pointer gone?"

Postby Tekman » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:07 pm

:idea: In dual monitor mode it is easy to 'lose' your mouse pointer. In particular it disappears automatically in PowerPoint. This can make the Presenter think that they do not have control with their 'remote projector mouse' or have somehow lost control in the 'heat' of presenting. This can obviously lead to all sorts of problems and misunderstandings between the Presenter and the Computer Operator. :roll:

The following might therefore be useful in such circumstances:
(Only applicable to Windows XP I believe :( )

Go to Control Panel click on Printers and Other Hardware and choose Mouse, then click on the Pointer Options tab. In the Visibilty section 'tick' the Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key option

This will place a 'bull's eye' type target around where the mouse pointer is 'hiding' whenever you press the Control Key.

We have just started using this facility and have found that it is best to keep pressing the Control key several times to find your mouse pointer.

By the way, adding this function does not interfere with anything else the Control Key does, such as, Control C, Control V for copy and paste etc... respectively.

We have found that the above tip really does help in making it clear that the Presenter has control of the system.

Let me know what you think of this tip - did it solve the problem of: "Where has my mouse pointer gone?"

Kind regards
The Tekman
Technical Consultant
Tiverton Christian Fellowship
Selly Oak - Birmingham - UK
Tekman
Junior

Postby ed » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:37 pm

Its ok to use that function, BUT when you are using the ctrl button for other functions (ctrl+v; ctrl+c) it does make the bullseye appear. Can be quiet annoying.

A way round it is to have a seperate user name on your computer, and call the new one, "zionworx" and the other your name, that way, u can use the bullseye thingy with presenting and zionworx, but when you want to use your computer for personal use, change it to the other username, that way, the bullseye wont annoy you.

After writing that, i then thought "but if the computer is used solely for zionworx, it doesnt matter." but anyway, yes a very good tip
ed
Junior

Postby IanL » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:06 pm

This is something I didn't know (along with 3billion other things). I've just tried it - great idea - but the bullseye only appears when you simply press and release the Ctrl key and not if you use Ctrl + anything else. So there isn't really a problem. (Winxp & Sp2)
Hope this helps

Ian
IanL
Intermediate

Postby bens106 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:07 pm

yes we have a seperate user set up for zionworx.

the one problem i found was that to use zionworx the account has to be an administrator, or am i doing something wrong?

please give me any adice you have on this

thanks
Ben
bens106
Junior

Postby Williamting » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:10 pm

If you use the default installed location, yes, you need an administrator. However, if you do need to run in a normal user mode, please move the zionworx directory to a directory where you have r/w access. Alternatively, you may just copy the zionworx directory out to your own directory. Remember that after doing this, you also need to modify the shortcut. Alternatively, just double click on the zionworx.exe from the new directory.

I believe V3 should solve this problem.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby Tekman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:57 pm

Williamting wrote:If you use the default installed location, yes, you need an administrator. However, if you do need to run in a normal user mode, please move the zionworx directory to a directory where you have r/w access. Alternatively, you may just copy the zionworx directory out to your own directory. Remember that after doing this, you also need to modify the shortcut. Alternatively, just double click on the zionworx.exe from the new directory.

I believe V3 should solve this problem.

God bless,
William

I experienced the same problem when trying to instal ZionWorx onto a computer running Windows XP. I found that the only way I could get it to mount correctly and then run was to instal it under 'Full Administrator' rights.

I was not aware that you could instal it as 'The Administrator' and then merely move the directory to another location and update the shortcut. With most programs, if you do this, then they will no longer work.

Does this work with ZionWorx because it does not instal any entries into the registry (of course I do not know whether the latter is the case or not)?

It is not a problem for us to have it installed under Administrator, because our computer is used solely for running our Services. It was a problem however, when we had to temporarily use my own personal laptop. In this case it would have been better to mount it under say the location of 'Guest'.

Kind regards
The Tekman
Technical Consultant
Tiverton Christian Fellowship
Selly Oak - Birmingham - UK
Tekman
Junior

Postby Williamting » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:09 pm

I am not an expert on registry but a quick look review that Zionworx does not seem to record runtime directory information on the registry. I believe it works merely because zionworx.exe is fully self contain, ie, no dll, etc.

However, if you use installer to uninstall Zionworx after the folder has been moved, it will fail.
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby Christian » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:10 pm

Williamting wrote:...Zionworx does not seem to record runtime directory information on the registry. I believe it works merely because zionworx.exe is fully self contain, ie, no dll, etc.

Yes, you're absoutely right William: ZionWorx makes NO entries in the registry at all. Everything required to run the program and local settings are contained within the program folder. Even the database engine is compiled into the executable so there are no dependencies on any other files or DLLs.

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support