laptop dual monitor issues

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

laptop dual monitor issues

Postby soaring_eagle » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:17 pm

hello!

i'm pretty sure that this problem is due to the fact that i'm new to this stuff, so bear with me! I'm working on W2K and i can't get the dual monitor thing to work :( i've got an s3 graphics supersavage/ixc which says "multiple monitor" before all that junk, but it doesn't have two monitors in the box only one. Any ideas?
soaring_eagle
Junior

Postby soaring_eagle » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:20 pm

oh, and also the monitors both are doing the same thing at the same time. Does that help?
soaring_eagle
Junior

Postby webmaster » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:37 pm

win 2k has no real supprt for extended desktop or multiple monitors. strange MS reasons i feel.

Windows XP or Winows 98 are much better candidates.

Our church machine runs win 98

My Dell Latitude D505 runs windows XP as this has an intel duel head card built in.

By the way a great laptop about £1600
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby soaring_eagle » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:20 am

okay ... why is that? and is there any way around it using the same computer?
soaring_eagle
Junior

Postby webmaster » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:08 am

ask "Microsoft" they designed windows.....all I know is i tried several attempts with windows 2000 and never got it working so moved back down to win98 shame as win2k would have help with a driver issue I was having.

I am upgrading soom to winXPpro on that machine as this is so much more stable and SP2 has been running beta on my machine for the last 2 months with nearly no problems which has been fixed on the full release I installed yesterday.

May be you could get a copy on windows 98 and install that.

Regards
Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby soaring_eagle » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:32 pm

okay thanx a lot. :) i've solved the problem for the moment by using another laptop ... which is running XP and it works really well. Thanx for the help :)
soaring_eagle
Junior

Postby steves » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:23 pm

Never had any problems running w2K dual headed/extended desktop when using a single (but dual monitor) graphics card (mostly Nvidia cards). However did once try two cards (from spare parts bin) under W2k - couldn't get that to work (and I seem to recall hearing that W2K doesn't support two cards before - but one dual head card should be fine).

I'd suspect a driver issue or the card isn't a true dual head card (just a clone display on 2nd output?)

Steve
steves
Junior

Postby CustardFD » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:33 pm

steves wrote:However did once try two cards (from spare parts bin) under W2k - couldn't get that to work (and I seem to recall hearing that W2K doesn't support two cards before - but one dual head card should be fine).

If you are using one AGP card and one normal PCI, you should set your BIOS to use the PCI card as the primary display. Windows should then pick it up, but on first boot you may well find that Windows only initialises your AGP card, so you will have to swap your monitor cable over and set the primary display to your PCI card in Windows!

Dan.
CustardFD
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support