Dual Display is not working

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Dual Display is not working

Postby Markus » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:38 pm

I found out, that the dual display works only if the second display is on the right side of the first one. In our case this is not very useful. Our projector is on the left side of the monitor from where I display the songs. So it is more intuitive to get the picture of the second monitor on the left side. But there, Zionworx is not displaying the presentation screen.

I hope this bug will be corrected with the next version.

Thanks,

Markus
Last edited by Markus on Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus
Junior

Postby Diceman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:43 am

surely thats only a problem if you are wishing to move between the two screens (a function not really required by zionworx usage).

But I see where your coming from and further customisation ability would be a bonus.

kind regards

Diceman
"Let there be light, cameras and action"
Diceman
Senior

you did not get the point

Postby Markus » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:48 am

Hi Diceman!

Unfortunately you did not get the point. The second screen will not even show up if the position is elsewhere then on the right side of screen no 1.
That all the fuss about. I installed Zionworx on two separate computers and the problem occurs on both systems.

If you have the presentation screen not on the right side of your first monitor the presentation screen in Zionworx will not show. And this is a Zionworx Problem. Please try yourself.

Kind regards,

Markus
Markus
Junior

Postby webmaster » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:50 pm

It really si not a problem....place screnn extended on Right hand side and ignore the Left hand screen you are presenting on....

I use two screens at once to project to.

Then which side would you like the extended desktop to be on...

the Screen works as you read Left to right....most other programs do the same....

Left - Users screen
Right -Presentaion screen

This is how it should be.

Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby CustardFD » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:12 pm

It's not a problem, until the monitor showing the output of the second display can only sensibly be put on the physical left of the primary display. Then it gets very confusing, because moving the mouse off the right of the primary display means it appears on the monitor physically positioned on the left!

Its not a problem under normal operation of Zionworx, but can be very frustrating when something goes wrong or someone not expecting the strange setup moves a window the wrong way to make more space on screen for something else.

Dan.
CustardFD
Junior

Physically Screens and virtually screens

Postby Markus » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:57 pm

Thank for those replys.
The physical first screen is on the right side. The physical projection screen is on the left side.
It would be OK if only Zionworx is installed on that PC. But we use a variety of programs. And some we had to drag to the presentation screen.
To use the extended desktop virtually on the right side is for most of the users very confusing. They had to drag the programs to the right side to show them on the physical left side.
So it would be very nice if you could drag the exented desktop in the system elsewhere and the presentation screen would show also.

I try to show in a little "graph" how PC and Beamer are standing in relation:

_____________Monitor->PC (looking direction is <-)
|
|
|
| Beamer->Projection Screen
|
|
|-------------------------------|

Look at the directions of the two and tell me where you would place the extended desktop!

Thanks,

Markus
Markus
Junior

Postby CustardFD » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:19 pm

I could suggest changing venue, but I think I would be wasting typing-time :) AFAIK, you're going to have to wait until version 3 comes out for this bug to be fixed.

I don't know how the display subsystem API is structured in Windows, but my guess is that Zionworx is querying it for the wrong information (i.e. for the RHS display, not display 1). The only way to fix that would be to write an API wrapper for Zionworx, and I have no intention to learn how!

Dan.
CustardFD
Junior

Postby Diceman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:53 pm

AS previously stated, it is only a problem if you need to use mutiple displays for applications OTHER than zionworx - ie this limitation will be overcome with the next version. It is free software after all - not Murco$oft, so please be patient. (There are alternate purchasable products from around $80 if it's really irritating you).

Kindest regards

Diceman
Last edited by Diceman on Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let there be light, cameras and action"
Diceman
Senior

No Problem, Really

Postby chris_h62 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:11 pm

I don't really see this as a major problem. In our church the operator sits directly in front of the projection screen, so there is no logical way to drag a window onto the extended desktop. Dragging to the right seems natural some how in my experience and it's only a simple case of telling each user of the system that they need to drag right and not left. If they've mastered the zionworx system and the idea of the extended desktop then fragging a different direction should not prove a massive problem if they have been told that they need to do so. Until v.3 comes out this setup works fine!

Chris
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Postby Christian » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:42 pm

An interesting discussion!

And yes - I see your frustrations Marcus...

In v2.0, the presentation screen is actually fixed to appear on the right half of the extended desktop (assuming you have dual monitors and no more).

To be specific the presentation will appear at an [X, Y] coordinate on the desktop which is equivalent to:

X = Resolution width of Monitor 1 + X coordinate of Monitor 1
Y = 0

For example, if your operator screen (Monitor 1) is 1024x768 and your projection screen (Monitor 2) is 800x600 then the desktop is expected to be configured like this - I hope this is readable:

++++++++++++++ ==========
++++++++++++++ ==== 2 ====
++++++ 1 ++++++ ==========
++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++

So the presentation screen will display at coordinate [1024, 0] on the desktop. Voila!

As you can see, if in reality the logical position of the monitors is horizontally reversed then the presentation screen would appear at coordinate [1824, 0] which actually is somewhere in mid-air because it doesn't exist!

Unfortunately there is no workaround for this at the moment, but we will address it in v3.0 as Diceman suggested :wink:

Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Markus » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:02 am

Thanks for all your replies. Especially to Christian! I now understand how the program works. It is a very good program and I appreciate it.
I am waiting for version 3.
Markus
Junior

Postby steves » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:40 pm

In V3.00 don't forget that the extened desktop can be above or below (or even diagonally joined!) as well as left or right.

(So in chris_h62's post it would be logical to place it above?)

Steve
steves
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support