Scary Program or File Malfunction

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Scary Program or File Malfunction

Postby Clarence Peters » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:46 pm

:shock: When we went to load the program, we got two messages. The first warning was "Division by 0". The second was "Cannot Focus a Disabled or Invisible Window". Then the program interface came up garbled -- the text section was large, the service section was disconnected from the rest and the images/songs tabs were very narrow on the left side.
Fortunately this was during the week, and not on a Sunday morning!
I reinstalled the program to the same directory -- no change.
I uninstalled the program and removed all folders and files.
Wondering if it might be a database issue, I had backed up the songs database. On reinstallation, I imported the songs into the new database.
Any ideas what might have happened? :?
In case it happens again, I installed a "Disaster Version" which runs from a completely different directory and database.
Clarence Peters
Junior

Postby dgillham » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:11 am

I suspect only Christian can give you a definitive answer but I also suspect he may not know either

Division by zero usually means a DLL problem. It happens where Microsoft change a system DLL function from an Integer to a Long or something similar. I don't expect you to necessarily understand what I mean but the bottom line is the program you are using (ZionWorx) expects a particular version of a DLL whereas another program you installed overwrote that DLL with an older, incompatible version
dgillham
Junior

NO DLL changes I'm aware of

Postby Clarence Peters » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:32 pm

The computer we use for the sanctuary is dedicated strictly to display. Between Sunday and Wednesday no programs were altered.
Perhaps something quirked between the networked computers. We modify files from the office computer for Zionworx, often using an external database editor (Lotus Approach). Up until now, we've had no problems and have been happy Zionworx users.
Clarence Peters
Junior

Postby Diceman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:23 am

Christian might know this:

Would an upgrade/patch/service pack alter or include any of the zionworx required dlls through windows file protection?

With database coruption being a possible cause of several effects - could you build in database redundancy backup or even a database checksum method which when returns false, flags a more understandable bug report - eg "your database has become corupt would you like to restore it from the automatic backup".

just an idea

kind regards

Dice
"Let there be light, cameras and action"
Diceman
Senior

Postby Christian » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:33 pm

Clarence,

Have you already solved this problem now?
Are you using PowerPoint integration?
It seems VERY strange that this error should appear, especially when you restored the database thereby ruling out database corruption...

Seeing as the ZionWorx database engine is built into the executable, there are no dependencies on external DLL's, so this shouldn't be an issue either...

Please let us know if you've had any developments since your last post.

Christian
Christian
Site Admin

No Further Problems

Postby Clarence Peters » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:38 pm

Since doing the complete re-install there have been no further problems.
I'm a little perplexed as to what caused it.
We have not run the Powerpoint integration feature with it, since Powerpoint is installed only on the Sanctuary computer. Zionworx won't open on the networked computers unless Powerpoint were also installed on them.
This may be one of those one-time quirks -- something happened somewhere to the commands that configure the display.
Thanks for the follow-up. If anything else happens I'll be sure to post it.
Clarence Peters
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support