Start up error (due to system clock problem)

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Start up error (due to system clock problem)

Postby K Haywood » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:46 am

When I start up Zionwork I get the following message: -
Your system clock appears to have been set back, possibly in an attempt to defeat the security system on this program. Please correct your system clock before trying to run this program again. If your clock is correct, please contact the author of this program for instructions on correcting this error (report code 0,61518,1859).

I have tryed all of the above and the same error keeps coming up, so please can I have instructions on how to correct this error. We urgently need the program working again. Thanks!!!
K Haywood
K Haywood
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:17 pm

Hi K,

I will contact you privately to resolve this problem and get you up and running again... :wink:

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

software protection

Postby Diceman » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:15 pm

This is obviously a feature which updates the last used date value every time zionworx is run and is probably legacy from when Zionworx was not intended to be free but instead to follow a try-before-buy model (Edit: This was an assumption which has been rendered incorrect please see bellow). Hopfully Christian will have removed this feature by version 4.

Perhaps by then zionworx will be under a public licence and will be destined to remain free. :lol:

kind regards

Dice
Last edited by Diceman on Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diceman
Senior

Postby webmaster » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:33 pm

With regard to registrations this allows both Christian and myself to keep a record of users around the world and gives indication on how popular the program is.

I would think Christian will keep this in for this reason.

Cheers
Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Diceman » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:03 pm

I completly agree.

User statistics are invaluable. And can only be obtained through product activation via registration (as you corectly pointed out).

Time limit demo features however are not required.

Removing them will remove this clock problem for users while still giving Zionworx control over who activates the product.

In fact - to streamline the current system. All product activation could be carried out through a registration form on zionworx.org.uk. With field validation you could automate the registration/activation process and still obtain the user information you require. Decreasing workload for Christian, speeding up the time it takes to activate a product. You could even include it in the download process, to make it impossible to download without registering.

Time limit demo features are inefficient to your current distribution model and simply make it awkward for users who come up against this obsolete security measure.

Public licence is a pet subject of mine and wasn't intended to confuse the issue - hense the smilie :D

Perhaps we should move this discussion to the wish-list forum?

kind regards

Dice
Diceman
Senior

Postby Christian » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:57 pm

Diceman wrote:All product activation could be carried out through a registration form on zionworx.org.uk. With field validation you could automate the registration/activation process and still obtain the user information you require.

This is an improvement which Edd and I have been investigating over the past few months, and we will be moving to this model of registration once we get it working correctly...

Getting back to the original subject, the 'clock back' issue and time-limited evaluation period were both intentional, and are not 'legacy' features. Back in April 2002 when ZionWorx v1.6 was released publicy for free, there were only 3 registered users (one of them was me) - and I had no idea that so many people would want to use the software.

Tracking user registrations and distribution around the world remains a fascinating and encouraging testament to how we believe God is working in this - in fact it's the very thing that spurs us on to continue investing our spare time into ZionWorx, and no doubt what encourages other users like yourself to get involved with this forum and share your knowledge and experience.

No matter what licence or registration model we use now or in the future, ZionWorx will always be FREE, because this is how we believe God wants it to be!

:wink:
Christian
Site Admin

C'mon :-)

Postby Diceman » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:03 pm

Mint! :D

I am a happy chap.

Keep up the good work you guys,

If i can be any help at all?

Best wishes, and thanks for your time to explain stuff

Dice
Diceman
Senior

Postby Christian » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:32 pm

Thanks Diceman,

BTW there'll be some video demo stuff needing a good hammering soon - you'll know as soon as it's ready! :)

All the best,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:27 am

Chistian,
I am a very happy chap too! :D

One of my friends has been asking me everyweek when would V3 be ready. They wanted to use the Chinese Version. So I can assure you that I have a tester here for you.
Williamting
Most Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support