Access violation error

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Access violation error

Postby jameshorsley1976 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:01 am

Recently I have encountered the following error: Access Violation at address 606045df read of address 606045df and at the bottom of the error box is OK. The first couple of times the error occured we clicked OK and the service went right on but the last two times this occured Zionworx completely shut down. On each occassion nothing was being done with Zonworx such as clicking to move the song to the next verse . The operator was only moving the mouse to go to the next song and the error message appeared. Anyone else seen this problem and have a way to correct it.

James Horsley
jameshorsley1976
Intermediate

Access Violation

Postby Diceman » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:31 pm

I don't know if Christian could shed some light on this and I may be wrong but it sounds like a memory address violation. I presume you are not using xp or NT? As these have protected memory systems.

If this is the case it may be that a third party application is messing with Zionworx memory allocation.

Try terminating all virus protection, other TSRs and non esential system services and seeing if you can replicate the problem, if not, turn them on one at a time until you find the offending software.

if this is the problem - tell us what the offending software was so that we can try and find a sollution.

of course it might be a bug in Zionworx :-).

Dice
Diceman
Senior

Postby Christian » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:48 pm

James and Diceman,

Access Violation errors (sometimes called General Protection Faults or Invalid Page Faults) are caused when an application tries to access memory that isn't designated for it's use - and the end result is a crash. This can happen on any version of Windows - even XP and NT.

Usually an Access Violation is caused by a programming error or oversight on behalf of the developer, and it can be one of the most frustrating types of problems to diagnose and fix, simply because there's very little information available when one occurs.

So far I'm only aware of 2 repeatable 'Access Violations' in v2.0 - and they're both related to MS PowerPoint integration. So the first questions are: Were you running PowerPoint at the time the error occurred? Can you repeat the error by performing a certain set of actions? Is there any reason why this error has only started happening recently i.e. have you installed some new software like an MS Office upgrade etc.?

I do find it very strange that the error wasn't a direct result of interacting with the user interface, but if you can give me some more information then I'll be happy to look into it... :?
Christian
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support