Remote control of PowerPoint slide transitions

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Remote control of PowerPoint slide transitions

Postby alayton » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:25 pm

Our projector has a remote control which can be used to move forward and backwards in Powerpoint when running Powerpoint on a laptop, yet I couldnt get it to do this the other evening when running via ZionWorx. Should this work :?
I am running on a desktop, Win2k, PowerPoint 2002 with a dual VGA card.
alayton
Junior

Postby Tekman » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:42 pm

When we first started using ZionWorx we found that sometimes we could move backwards and forwards with PowerPoint slides but that it was unreliable, that is, until we discovered the reasons for this.

We are using a projector that has a remote control and our laptop is set-up to support dual monitors.

There are four things that you might need to look at in order to perhaps sort your problem out.

1. There is a setting somewhere in PowerPoint XP (virtually the same as PowerPoint 2000) that enables PowerPoint to use dual monitors or a projector. (Sorry I cannot say exactly where to find this or if my terminology is a little less than precise, but I do not have the machine that we use for our presentations in front of me at the moment.)

2. You need to make sure that you have the cable connected that sends 'projector mouse' signals to your computer.

3. :!: This is very important and not at all obvious. It had us 'beat' for a long time.

Make sure that when you begin your PowerPoint presentation that you leave the mouse pointer on the actual projected presentation screen. It should disappear after a few seconds and should therefore not be a distraction to your audience. If your 'projector mouse' has a thumb ball or means of moving the pointer, then make sure that it is not touched, otherwise you will lose control over being able to move backwards and forwards through your slides.

Likewise, if you have a computer operator, then make sure that they understand that they must not move their mouse, until you make it clear that you are handing back control to them.

4. It seems that for ZionWorx to run reliably, then you need to allow it to start PowerPoint for itself when it loads. If for any reason you already have PowerPoint running, then it is best to shut it down and then shut down ZionWorx. Finally, restart ZionWorx. This might sound a bit strange, but if you are going to use ZionWorx then you just have to let it get on and do what it does. (Extremely well :) )
Technical Consultant
Tiverton Christian Fellowship
Selly Oak - Birmingham - UK
Tekman
Junior

Postby Malc » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:28 pm

I would be interested to know if anybody has managed to get a remote control for a projector to operate as a 'remote mouse' for Zionworx. ie can you skip through song slides using the remote mouse instead of hitting return on the PC keyboard. We use an Epson EMP-73 projector which according to it's documentation, will run a remote mouse (I assume normally for Powerpoint et al). We have connected a USB cable between projector and PC. The projector manual says little more than which buttons to use as mouse buttons. But I get ...nothing. :?
Malc
Junior

Postby mango » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:40 am

Malc wrote:I would be interested to know if anybody has managed to get a remote control for a projector to operate as a 'remote mouse' for Zionworx

I doubt so. With all projector remotes that are currently out there, you can do what you'd normally do with a mouse and nothing more, i.e. you can move the pointer, right and left click, and possibly wheel scroll. This is adequet for controlling PP slides but works only when these mouse events are handled by the the PP display window.

If you're after a remote that can control ZionWorx's display, then you'll need to hunt around for a remote that can send the following keyboard events: enter, page up, page down. I'm not sure if there's such a product out there. I guess you could always go for an infrared keyboard :shock:

Alternately, we can get Christian to add these features: double left click on the right panel does next verse, double right click does previous verse, and you'll need your mouse pointer to be hovering over that right panel.
mango
Intermediate

Postby Christian » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:12 am

Hi there folks!

You're quite right - in any Windows application, mouse and keyboard events are always directed to the *active window* by default, and there can only be one active window at any one time.

So, in order for the usual PowerPoint mouse/keyboard controls to affect a running PowerPoint show, the PowerPoint presentation window must be the active window. However, under normal operation, the ZionWorx operator screen remains the active window, so any mouse/keyboard events are directed there (so you can carry on working in the background) and they don't reach the PowerPoint presentation window. I hope I'm making sense!

I realise now that this issue really does need fixing...I'll try and come up with a neat solution for the next version that will give us more control.

See how useful this forum is?! :)

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Malc » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:34 pm

Hi Christian
Mango suggested double left click on the right panel does next verse, double right click does previous verse -that kind of thing. Could that be a possibility?

I found a great spec Optical Mouse that has a range of 3 metres and uses a gyroscope which enables the mouse to work in the air (and as a regular mouse.) Check it out - http://www.gyration.com/ultragt.htm

As it runs just like a regular mouse it does most everything..except [Return] to flip to next verse.
Are there any mouse controls that could do that? I know I can click on the 'Tick' in the bottom corner, but Mango's suggestion - a double click on one of the panels, would be a much bigger target from a distance.
Waddya reckon?
Malc
Junior

Postby mango » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:35 am

We use a remote similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 5?v=glance

This unit uses radio frequency and not infrared, the beauty of this is you don't have to point at the receiver and you can be as far as 15 metres (and possibly more) away from the PC. It can be used as a mouse (I can't remember whether right mouse button is supported, but left definitely is, no scroll though) and can send up and down key events (up and down key events are used by PP to change slides).

We let the speakers and annoucers use it so they have total control of when they want to change PP slides, no more signalling to the operator and no more misunderstandings whether to go to next or previous slide.
mango
Intermediate

Postby Malc » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:26 pm

Hi Mango

The mouse I am looking at is Rf too. But your remote looks good. I checked it out on Keyspan's site. The tech spec is a little light though.

It seems to me that the only thing stopping any remote device from 'driving' Zionworx will be the ability to send an Enter or Return keystroke to the PC - to go to next slide. Can your remote be configured to send a 'Return'? do you know.

I managed to configure an MS Intellimouse Wheel on one of my Win2k PCs in my office to send a Return keystroke but our church PC is still running Win98 and the mouse setup does not have the same options as in Win2K. So I am not altogether sure if I go for the fancy Rf remote mouse for the church PC whether Win98 will restrict that feature or whether the new mouse's own configuration will let me achieve the Return keystroke.

Cheers

Malc :wink:
Malc
Junior

Postby mango » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:40 am

Can your remote be configured to send a 'Return'? do you know.

No, I couldn't find any settings on the driver to configure this. I could however disable all mouse events, which is what we're doing now - since we only need up and down key events for PP and this stops the speaker/announcer accidentally send mouse events to other applications.

BTW, why would you want to control ZionWorx remotely? just curious :?:
mango
Intermediate

Postby Malc » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:46 pm

Hi Mango

because...
when you are a small fellowship you do not have the luxury of having someone sitting by the PC pressing buttons.
When I lead the worship I am also changing the songs displayed on Zionworx and playing the guitar. (I did think about juggling with my shoes and socks removed but ...nah!)
Before the days of Zionworx it was the same deal but with an overhead projector. So, remote control sits on the lectern within easy reach of worship leading, guitar playing, song changing, toe juggler...eh? Easy.
Oh, BTW, when Graham leads worship he does the same but with an accordian. (And without the juggling)
That's just the way it is.
Malc
Junior

Postby mango » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:08 am

ok :lol: you probably need a voice activated remote control :)
mango
Intermediate

Remote Control

Postby Malc » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:40 pm

If there is anyone else out there in need of a remote control to drive ZionWorx - I found it. The Gyro Ultra Mouse (see my previous post for URL).
So long as you purchase the Gyrotools software with it, it is possible (and I now have) configured this mouse to send : F3, F4, F10, F12, Enter and Tab to the PC. So remotely, I can add songs to the service list jump forwards and backwards to songs in the list - move from screen to screen in any song, fade out and fade in.
It's easy to use and very slick. :)
Malc
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support