screen arrangement does matter?

If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Postby Martin » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:34 am

Hi folks,
I just was able to download the software, after waiting some time :wink:

first some tech:
- MaxData Laptop
- WinXP Pro
- Zionworx 2.0, downloaded today
- 1400x1050 LCD resolution (1. screen)
- 1024x768 CRT resolution (2. screen)

I was able to install the software properly, no problems so far.
But when I tried to get an output to the presentation screen there was nothing but the windows desktop background! The 2. screen not even turned black as described in the help file.

After some time and playing around I figured out that it seems to be important how the screens are arranged to get a proper result.

In >Desktop>Properties>Settings I have set the 2. screen to be extended desktop - as required in the descriptions. I have arranged the screens so that the 2. screen was sitting on the left hand side of the primary one, the bottom line on the same level.
This way I got no output to the presentation screen from Zionworx.

I then (was it luck?) moved the 2.screen (only in settings, of course) to sit on the right hand side of the primary screen, also bottom line levelled.
After restarting Zionworx I noticed that the upper part of the 2. screen turned black, the lower part still showed the remaining part of the windows desktop background. Zionworx then showed also only the lower part of the slide. That meant: my 2. screen was arranged too low.

I then arranged the 2.screen in the settings so that the top line was levelled. And - everything worked fine!
---------------------------------

Conclusion: If I am the only one with such a problem, it is just causing some headache to me. doesnt matter. But if there is really a need to arrange the 2. screen right side of the 1.screen and level the top line, then this should be described somewhere!
Of course, windows does arrange the 2.screen on the right side by default, but I just changed it immediately to fit the physical arrangement of my screens on the desk.

Question therefore: Do I have a strange graphics controller or does the arrangement of the screens have to be like described?

another thing: Is this the right place to report problems like this?
----------------
Martin
Martin
Junior

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:32 am

Hi Martin,

It looks like you are not the only one. I just downloaded ZionWorx this morning and had the same problem. It seem this is how it has to be set up. I will find out how it works when I get to church and try it there with the projector.

Sam.
Sam
Junior

Postby Williamting » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:45 am

Hi Martin, Sam

I have the same kind of problem. So, I figure that before you fire up Zionworx, make sure that the resolution for both screen 1 and 2 are the same. Also, don't change the resolution (WxH pixels) when Zionworx is running.

Swapping the primary screen (1) and secondary screen (2) around is not a good idea.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby Christian » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:39 pm

Hi there,

You should be able to use a different screen resolution for the operator and presentation screens, but like William said, v2.0 will not handle changing screen resolution on the fly (but v3.0 will :wink: )

Bye for now...
Christian
Site Admin

Postby dparker » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:46 am

Hi,

Does anyone else have the problem of the second output being disabled (greyed out) if the computer is booted WITHOUT the projector being plugged in. If we connect it all up before booting, everything is fine. If the projector is not plugged in, the second screen is disabled and has to be reactivated first. ??

Does anyone know of a way to always operate in this mode even if an external sreen/proj is not detected.

Thanks

David
dparker
Junior

Postby intuitas » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:08 am

Hi David,

Does this happen only with ZionWorx or is it more universal?
Could be your video adapter/card or drivers.

Also, our projector does not interact with our computer if the computer is booted before the projector is turned on (instructions say specifically to turn on projector first). Haven't noticed if the 2nd display is greyed out - will check tomorrow.

Regards,

Paul
intuitas
Senior

Postby Williamting » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:50 pm

I believe this is a feature of Windows to save power especially to notebook running off battery!

What I always do is to right click the desktop wallpaper->Properties->Setup. If it is greyed out, right click on the monitor and enable it.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

back to the topic...

Postby Martin » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:00 am

Hello,
I would like to go back to the topic here... :wink:

Yes, the operators screen and the presentation screen can have different resolution. I have written that in the initial post already.

I would like to know - maybe from one of the "inner circle" - what is wrong that the Arrangement of the screens does matter that much!

If it is reallly that important that the upper left corner of the presentations screen (2.) is right next to the upper right corner of the operators screen (1.) I would really like to read that somewhere in the instructions.

You cannot expect people to have the screens settings always exactly like this. People tend to arrange the screens settings as they are in real. In my case, the second screen sits left of the laptop. Thats where the problem came from. :(
----------------
Martin
Martin
Junior

Postby Williamting » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:28 am

Hi Martin,

You are right. The two screens can have different resolution. However, if for any reason you need to plug your projector onto the primary screen after the whole system has started up, you will find that the projector either over scan or under scan and the picture may appear distorted.

Regarding the position of the two screens, I believe I fall into the same dilemma as you have. I spent one afternoon trying to figure out what is wrong. At the end, I go back to Â?normalÂ? arrangement. I know this has not answered your question but just like you to know that someone out there have the same problem.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.0 Support